With Custom Illustrations we now offer high-quality, custom illustrated work using the tried and true Design Pickle delivery model.
What does Custom Illustrations feature?
- Professional Illustrators and Vector artists
- 100% Original Artwork
- Built into Design Pickle's platform
- Flat rate pricing for unlimited requests
Using the powerful Design Pickle Platform, you can easily request a wide range of work. In the Design Pickle Platform, revisions and feedback are efficiently communicated to your designer, ensuring work that is precise and on brand.
If you are a current Design Pickle client, your Custom Illustrations queue is separate from your graphic design queue.
Instead of a designated designer, each Custom Illustrations request is assessed by our Art Directors and assigned to the best designer.
What is our scope of work?
With Custom Illustrations you can request:
- Portraits - An illustrated rendition of someone’s face or bust. This can sometimes be more interesting and impactful than an actual photograph!
- Cartoon Art Style - A cartoon style is more playful, minimal, and less realistic. The result is something simple but visually appealing and easy to digest.
- Geometric Art Style - Looking for something less cartoony and more… well… artsy? Try requesting a geometric style. It has random compositions and looser lines and shapes. The abstract look works well in editorial layouts.
- Realistic Art Style - Realism means more true-to-life rendering. The colors, shadows, and composition mimic real-world situations. The result is more photographic and natural.
- Caricatures - Caricatures are a sort of cartoon. A subject’s most striking characteristics (like huge eyes or a big hairdo) are exaggerated, creating a comical effect.
- Photo to Vector Conversion - A photograph is in raster format, which means it’s not infinitely scalable to larger sizes. A vector image, on the other hand, can scale cleanly to any size at all. You can have your photos vectorized. The degree of realism may vary depending on the style you’re aiming for.
- Logos - Custom logos can be created in this plan
- Mascot or Character Creation with Specific Poses - Just like a logo, a mascot symbolizes your brand. But unlike logos, mascots are exclusively designed to personify or humanize a brand. Mascots are usually cartoon-style illustrations.
- Complex Vector Edit from Existing Vector Material - If you have an existing vector illustration you love but want to customize it to fit your content, we can work on creating a brand-new illustration with your inspiration as a basis.
- Blueprint/Floor Plans (tracing only) - If you have a rough blueprint or floor plan that you want to reproduce in a clean and striking manner, no problem! We can trace over your sketch and create a beautiful floor plan that looks professional and brand-new.
- Merch Illustrations (vector-based) - Sometimes, merch needs to be illustrated to show off its more technical features. We can create simple to complex vector illustrations of your branded merchandise.
- Children’s Storybooks (digital illustrations/vector-based) - A children’s storybook isn’t complete without custom illustrations! Send us your story, and let us know which passages need accompanying pictures.
- Illustrated Manuals - Just like children’s storybooks, manuals aren’t complete without guiding images. We can assist you in creating these helpful pictures for your instructional manual.
- Coloring Books - Coloring books are all the rage—among adults! Apparently, coloring is a really therapeutic exercise. We can help you create interesting, fun-to-color illustrations.
But, of course, we have limitations. Here’s a list of what we can’t do:
- Inappropriate custom illustration requests that are sexually explicit, defamatory, ethnically or racially offensive, or anything that is against Design Pickle’s core values
- Trademarked names, brands, and quotes
- Digital Painting (watercolor or paint effects and the like)
- Gaming Assets
- Art for your comics/graphic novel
CAN I REQUEST REVISIONS?
Yes, definitely. However, please take note:
- Revision requests should be limited to minor revisions that will not result in creating new illustration concepts.
- When you request a revision, your Illustrator will give you two new options based on your feedback.
- If it's a totally new concept, it's better to start a new request! This will help keep things organized.
CAN I COMMUNICATE WITH MY ILLUSTRATOR VIA SLACK?
You can communicate with your illustrator through DPP or email. Slack is available for Pro Graphic Design clients.
WHAT IS THE TURNAROUND TIME?
Each request is unique, and so unlike more traditional production design, we'll work on setting timelines for your requests as soon as we receive it. Expect to receive first concepts, studies or drafts within 1-2 business days. From there, how long your request may take is wholly dependent on the request, feedback, edits, and other factors!
WHAT IS THE CUT-OFF TIME FOR RECEIVING CUSTOM ILLUSTRATION REQUESTS?
5 PM PDT
WILL I HAVE A DESIGNATED ILLUSTRATOR?
Each request will be reviewed and assigned accordingly based on your request. Should you have bulk requests or illustration style you’ve already established with our Illustrator, we can assign them to that designer for consistency.
ARE THE ILLUSTRATIONS COMPLETELY ORIGINAL AND SAFE FROM ANY COPYRIGHT ISSUE?
Yes! Illustrations are made from scratch and are original concepts from the artists working on each request.
WHO OWNS THE CREATIVE RIGHTS?
100%, the creative rights of your requested illustrations belong to YOU.
CAN MY ILLUSTRATOR DO GRAPHIC DESIGN?
Our illustrators are focused on creating original illustrations from scratch. Illustrators have mastered different art styles and techniques for creating your illustrations.
Graphic design is a much different process and skillset. Both take years of experience to master.
We highly recommend that clients assign their graphic design requests to their designated graphic designer (using our Graphic Design or Pro Graphic Design service).
HOW CAN MY GRAPHIC DESIGNER AND MY ILLUSTRATOR COLLABORATE?
After creating an illustration the client can send this illustration to their Graphic Designer and incorporate it in the final layout.